Berkeley Lab IT Status
March 18, 2020 - Brief Power Outage
Updated 3/18/2020 10:12AM
There was a brief power outage affecting the Lab at approximately 9:00AM today.
Power has been restored, but not all desktop computers automatically reboot when power has been lost. For many people, this has likely resulted in the inability to connect to your Lab desktop computer since it is now powered off. If you need assistance getting your Lab desktop computer powered back on, please contact the IT help desk.
IT Provided HPC Services are still in the process of recovering from this outage.
March 2020 - COVID Curtailment
IT is currently operating normally.
Most services are anticipated to continue in normal operation during the curtailment.
Beginning on Friday March 20, deskside support (workstation staffing troubleshooting while present at your workstation) will be curtailed, with most support being provided remotely.
November 20, 2019 - PSPS Outage
Updated 11/19/2019 2:11PM
The PSPS Outage has been cancelled. No systems will be proactively shutdown at LBL. Normal operations anticipated.
November 19, 2019 - Network Outage - Resolved
Resolved. Prior: IT is investigating a large-scale network outage at the Laboratory that began around 10:20AM. No ETA available for restoration.
AT&T In-Building Mobile Phone Outage 04 November 2019
Updated 11/02/2019 12:44PM
AT&T in-building mobile phone service on the main LBL Hill Campus will be offline Monday, 04 November, 2019 from 06:00AM to 02:00PM for hardware maintenance by AT&T to repair and/or replace failed components.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
PG&E Public Safety Power Outage 25 October 2019
Updated 10/29/2019 4:16PM
All IT services including HPC have returned to normal operation.
PRESERVED OUT OF DATE INFORMATION
Updated 10/29/2019 at 11:28AM
IT is engaged in the re-energization of the Laboratory. We anticipate that all services except HPC will be available by the time the Laboratory is re-opened. HPC services require full cooling capacity in Building 50, which generally occurs 24 hours after re-energization.
At this time, IT service availability is generally the same as during the last PSPS Outage (though this is subject to change).
What systems are operational?
- All Google Suite Services (gmail, docs, drive, calendar, etc) (For clarity, access to lbl email should function normally for all devices).
- All Identity Management Services (login, phonebook, directory, etc)
- Business Systems (FMS, HRIS, EHS Systems, etc)
- Cloud Based Websites (Google Sites, WPengine, Pantheon, etc)
- Www2.lbl.gov, status.lbl.gov, and Commons.lbl.gov
- Core Networking and VPN
- Telephones and Voicemail
- Security Systems including Physical Access Control (where controllers have power)
- Science Project Storage Service (SPSS) (Operational, but can be shut off at any time due to heat load issues)
- Shared Drives (G, H, Grouper, etc) (Operational, but can be shut off at any time due to heat load issues)
- The Helpdesk is operational at help.lbl.gov and available to provide assistance to offsite facilities and telecommuting employees.
- All IT service teams are either fully operating remotely or on call (e.g. networking, telephony, security, collaboration, etc).
What systems were shut down?
- LBL IT Provided HPC Services (Shut Down as of 10/25 COB)
- Science Virtual Machine Services (SVM) (Shut down as of 10/26 9AM)
- Systems in the Colo Facility (2109) (Operational for All Customers (were previously shut down as of 10/26 2PM)
Why do you use the word “Anticipated”
Emergency power is unpredictable. If generators fail, are required to be shutdown, or run out of fuel - or if cooling is insufficient to safely manage systems, systems will be shutdown.
Questions? Email email@example.com
In the event of any disruption of IT services, this site will provide a means for Lab employees to communicate with each other and stay informed on the status of IT's operations.
The Emergency Status Information Line is: 1-800-445-5830.